Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Case for Literature

As noted, The List is definitely a work in progress.

First example: The Case for Literature, a truly excellent collection of essays by Gao Xianjian, translated by Mabel Lee. When I included The Case for Literature, I thought it was a book-length dissertation on why literature is important to read and understand. And while I was incorrect in this assumption, I wasn't disappointed. However, I have removed the book from The List, and instead listed selected essays ("
The Case for Literature,"Author's Preface to "Without Isms," "Without Isms," and Literature as Testimony: The Search for Truth").

All of Xianjiang's essays are beautifully written, and his explorations of the impact of the Chinese language on the possibilities of thought and story-telling make me wish I had the time (and gumption, frankly) to learn.

Of these essays, I have to say that Xingjian's Preface to "Without Isms" is actually my favorites. One of the difficulties of reading a collection of someone's speeches and essays is that they often have common themes and after a while, they all start to sound the same. The Preface is the second essay included (after the Introduction) so its subject matter (expanded in "Without Isms," the fifth essay) was still fresh and new.

This essay actually affected me pretty deeply, to the exclusion of the other essays - I honestly can't remember what the others say nearly as well, altho I do know they are excellent. In fact, I'm basing a post on my blog, the Everyday Idealist, on the Preface (and once I have the post up at the EI, I'll link it). So I think I'll keep this post short, and just wait for Sean's comments (which I'm sure he'll make even tho he doesn't the essays yet.

For now though, I'll say that this is definitely a collection to add to mine and I will definitely have to include Soul Mountain on my reading list in the future.



- M

No comments: